DATA SCIENCE JOB DESCRIPTION
At Lode, our mission is to develop a repeatable methodology for building successful innovative technology startups. Our studio brings ideas to life as standalone companies that we want to scale. Our culture comprises passion for people with enriching mentorship, while driving economic growth by creating meaningful jobs in Wyoming. We’re a Laramie-based startup revolutionizing business creation through the power of our startup studio business model.
We’re experienced entrepreneurs looking for a driven Data Scientist who can help us build amazing startups. This individual will work closely with our product & engineering teams to bring our visions to life. We iterate quickly so this individual must have a bias towards action, the ability to think on their feet, and the drive needed to excel in a startup environment.
Data Scientists require:
- Passion for managing complex problems creatively at scale
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and drive focused resolution in a fast-paced environment
- Self-starter with the ability to bring new ideas to life, take ownership, and be accountable to our teammates & companies
- Must be local to the Laramie area
Data Scientists will:
- Track abstract ideas and turn them into easy-to-manage projects with accountability tracking
- Leverage and share the latest machine and deep learning techniques to challenge the current practices across the businesses we create
- Develop a data lake and/or data catalog for each company
- Take the initiative to understand the business dynamics and see the big picture
- Understand the uses of business and market information to better drive decisions
- Relate with multiple teams to understand the problems of their business
- Passion for learning, improving process and attention to representing its information
- Know how to prioritize the deliverables
Work at Lode offers:
- Work side by side with passionate, purposeful people - Talent is our DNA and we pride ourselves on having the best!
- Ability to make a big impact on a growing organization and drive your own career
- The opportunity to build the next big thing
- Internal and external professional development, coaching, and continuous education opportunities
- Research and analysis of large data sets
- Know about and apply various data science methods
- Define and execute model building and testing strategies and compile relevant data sets
- Produce reproducible research reports detailing findings
- Produce modular reusable code
- Work with development and product teams to build internal and external business solutions
- Take ownership and break down the various elements involved in getting the work done
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation
Education and Desired Skills:
- Degree or equivalent experience in computer science, mathematics, statistics, or other technical/science degree.
- Expertise in at least one programming language.
- Familiarity with basic statistical concepts.
- Interest in a career in data science.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Foundational knowledge of SW engineering principles.
- Course work or experience in one or more of the following: machine learning, optimization, mathematical statistics, simulation, experimental design, ODEs, PDEs, probability models.
- Ability to create simple web-based interface to explore research results.
- Knowledge of DBMS technologies and SQL.
- Experience in at least one data science oriented language (R, Python, Julia, Matlab, Mathematica, etc.).
- Ability to balance multiple tasks with changing priorities
- Ability to work and think independently
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Must have clear and professional communication skills (written and oral) both internally and externally
- Effective communication and interaction with employees, companies, and colleagues
- Demonstrated ability operating in an ambiguous environment - adaptability is key
Lode is a startup studio which improves the odds of startup success and empowers our team members to impact the world through entrepreneurship. We're changing the venture model, trusting our ability to make a real difference in the companies we launch.